Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

I got on a baking kick yesterday afternoon and made some more zucchini bread. I also decided that I needed to bake some blueberry muffins to eat for my mid morning snack this week. I got some fresh blueberries at the farmers market and just couldn't wait to make something with them. I found a blueberry muffin recipe in my yeast free cookbook, and thought I would try it out. I had to change a couple of things up in the recipe, because I didn't have one thing and it also called for an egg. It called for 3/4 cup of spelt flour and 3/4 cup of white flour, which I didn't have. I had some whole wheat pastry flour, so I decided to use that in place of the other two flours. It also called for an egg in the recipe,so I used the flax seed/water mixture to replace the egg. I wasn't too sure about this recipe because it called for 1/2 cup yellow stone ground meal. I thought...meal in muffins...that's weird, but I decided I would give it a try. I have to say, they are very different from any muffin that I have ever had, but very good. Very light and not too sweet. Here's the recipe that I used to make the muffins. I will be making these again.

1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup yellow stone ground cornmeal
1 tbs Rumford baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 tbs safflower oil
1 tbs ground flax seed
3 tbs water
1 cup soy milk
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup fresh blueberries

Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl
In a small bowl whisk flax seed and water together. Mix in oil, soy milk and maple syrup.
Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Add blue berries and spoon mixture into muffin cups.
Bake at 375 for 25 min. or until golden brown. Makes 12 muffins.

~Peace~

No comments:

Post a Comment