Saturday, October 16, 2010

Brussels Sprouts and Couscous

It's Saturday....YAY. Maybe there is going to be a little free time today for cooking up a few new things. Last night for dinner, I had some sauteed brussels sprouts and couscous. I've only tried brussels once, and I thought they were okay. Last Saturday I met a new friend, and she told me a simple way to cook them. So, last night I tried it out and yummy...were they ever so tasty! I only made enough for me, because I knew Tony wouldn't eat them. So, here's the recipe for one serving.

6 brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 slices of lemon, for juice
salt and pepper to taste

First, slice the brussels in half and continue slicing them until thinly sliced. I took the very center of them out, since that's where the bitter part is. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non stick skillet and then add the brussels sprouts. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for about 5 min on low/med heat. Uncover after 5 minutes and continue sauteing for a couple more minutes. You may need to add a little water if they start to get too dry. Plate the brussels sprouts once they are ready, and squeeze fresh lemon juice over them and eat up. :o)


I also cooked some couscous last night. While the couscous was cooking, I sauteed about a fourth of a red and green bell pepper (chopped) and a 3 green onions (chopped) in some olive oil. I also chopped up a Roma tomato. Once the couscous was finished, I added it into a bowl and added the sauteed peppers and onions and the tomato. I added a little salt and pepper to taste, and then added some freshly squeezed lemon juice to it. I mixed all that up with a fork. Simple but tasty supper.

~Peace~

7 comments:

  1. Your brussels sprouts dish looks great! It took me a long time to develop a taste for them. I think they are usually overcooked by most people and end up with a mushy texture. Good job! Maybe Tony will try them next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Michelle. Brussels sprouts are one of the healthiest veggies around and I don't eat enough of them. Thanks for the reminder!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a nice way to make sprouts. I'm sure they're delcious, esp. with the finishing touch of the lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Sounds like a wonderful and healthy dinner. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great brussels sprouts recipe. I have never cut them like that, but it's even a pretty presentation on your plate. What a great simple supper with the bell peppers and couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony won't eat the Brussel Sprouts?! What a wuss!

    ReplyDelete