Saturday, October 16, 2010

Brussels Sprouts and Couscous

It's Saturday....YAY. Maybe there is going to be a little free time today for cooking up a few new things. Last night for dinner, I had some sauteed brussels sprouts and couscous. I've only tried brussels once, and I thought they were okay. Last Saturday I met a new friend, and she told me a simple way to cook them. So, last night I tried it out and yummy...were they ever so tasty! I only made enough for me, because I knew Tony wouldn't eat them. So, here's the recipe for one serving.

6 brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 slices of lemon, for juice
salt and pepper to taste

First, slice the brussels in half and continue slicing them until thinly sliced. I took the very center of them out, since that's where the bitter part is. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non stick skillet and then add the brussels sprouts. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for about 5 min on low/med heat. Uncover after 5 minutes and continue sauteing for a couple more minutes. You may need to add a little water if they start to get too dry. Plate the brussels sprouts once they are ready, and squeeze fresh lemon juice over them and eat up. :o)


I also cooked some couscous last night. While the couscous was cooking, I sauteed about a fourth of a red and green bell pepper (chopped) and a 3 green onions (chopped) in some olive oil. I also chopped up a Roma tomato. Once the couscous was finished, I added it into a bowl and added the sauteed peppers and onions and the tomato. I added a little salt and pepper to taste, and then added some freshly squeezed lemon juice to it. I mixed all that up with a fork. Simple but tasty supper.

~Peace~

6 comments:

  1. Your brussels sprouts dish looks great! It took me a long time to develop a taste for them. I think they are usually overcooked by most people and end up with a mushy texture. Good job! Maybe Tony will try them next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Michelle. Brussels sprouts are one of the healthiest veggies around and I don't eat enough of them. Thanks for the reminder!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a nice way to make sprouts. I'm sure they're delcious, esp. with the finishing touch of the lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Sounds like a wonderful and healthy dinner. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great brussels sprouts recipe. I have never cut them like that, but it's even a pretty presentation on your plate. What a great simple supper with the bell peppers and couscous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony won't eat the Brussel Sprouts?! What a wuss!

    ReplyDelete