Thursday, December 30, 2010

Where do I begin????

Hello! "Where do I begin" is appropriate for today's post, because it's been crazy! Tony and my mom have had the crud (head cold & nasty cough) for the last few days, so that hasn't been much fun. Tuesday when I got home, Tony was on the couch with Maggie, (Maggie was eating that up) complaining that his stomach was cramping. Shortly after that he was in major pain. When my husband complains about pain, it's serious. I kept asking him if he wanted me to take him to the doctor, and of course his response was "NO". So, I went into the kitchen and started doing some prepping for dinner. I noticed he kept going to the bathroom, then he asked me to get him wet wash cloth. He was doubled over with the pain in his stomach. I told him to get up that he was going to the doctor. Next thing I knew he was in the hallway floor in excruciating pain.

I took Tony to the convenient care, where I finally got them to give him a shot for his pain. He was in so much pain that he couldn't stand up straight, and he was begging me to help that is serious pain folks! It sucks when your man, or any family member is in excruciating pain and there is nothing you can do about it. The doctor did an xray of his stomach, but didn't see much. He was very concerned that it could be his appendix, so he sent us over to the emergency room for a cat scan. After waiting for 3 hours in the ER waiting room, they finally got him into a room, where his stomach pain started coming back with a vengeance. They gave him an IV and a shot of phenergan/morphine. About 5 minutes later he said "this is some good stuff!". I had to laugh when he said that. Of course he doesn't remember saying that now. Anyway, around 3:00 Wednesday morning, they finally did a cat scan of his stomach. It appears that he passed a kidney stone....WOW, I sure hope I never have one of those! I've never seen a person in pain like that!

We finally got home around 5 am Wednesday morning and I was pooped! My alarm goes off at 6 am....ugh. I knew I would never make it at work without a few hours of sleep, so I called and left a message for my boss explaining to her what had happened and told her that I would be in around lunch time if that was okay. I ended up rolling out of the bed around 9:15, so I could get to town and get Tony's prescriptions filled and bring them back home to him. Phew....I was exhausted last night. I did get a little sleep last night, but Tony kept waking me up with his nasty cough. I am off work Monday, and I sure hope no one expects us to do anything this weekend, because I am RESTING...oh and cleaning house. I just realized all my Christmas decorations are still up including my Christmas tree. I guess that will go along with cleaning house. :o)

My sister-n-law and her family were supposed to fly in from New Jersey on Monday to celebrate Christmas with us. If you've been watching the news, then you can probably guess that they didn't make it. Their flight was one of the many that got cancelled. It looked like they were going to get to fly out Tuesday, but then that flight also got cancelled. They were told that the next available flight for them was going to be next Monday. Needless to say, they aren't going to get to come, because the kids have to go back to school. We were all bummed about that! I like to try to make something positive out of things, so I look at the bright side and thank God that they are home safe and sound. :o)

Okay...on to the food. Pizza was on the menu for last night and it was GOOD! The pizza sauce was made from a can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (chopped into sauce form in my mini chopper), 2 cloves of garlic (minced), 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of basil, salt and pepper. I let the sauce mixture simmer on the stove in a small sauce pan for about 20 minutes. After adding the sauce to the whole wheat pizza crust, I added some cooked onions and green bell peppers, then added some leftover Tofurky Italian Sausage. I sprinkled some nutritional yeast over the top. Talk about yummy, it was yummy! Oh yeah, there were a few pieces of leftover cooked spinach thrown on the pizza too.....that would be the green blobs that you see :o)

We had lunch catered in at work today. Normally I'm not excited about that because they usually end up getting barbecue, fried chicken, or pizza. Today was different though. We were given the option of a deli sandwich or Pizza. Thank God that the majority wanted Deli sandwiches. The best part about this is that it came from Panera Bread....woohoo. Finally, I was able to enjoy a catered lunch. We all got boxed lunches. Mine consisted of the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich, baked chips, a dill pickle (yum), and a huge oatmeal raisin cookie. The cookie sure did look good, but I knew it wasn't vegan, so it is going home to Tony. I also forgot to tell them no cheese or red onion. I don't know what it is, but I do NOT like red onion. If a recipe calls for it, I use yellow onion instead. Anyway, I had to pick a couple of things off, which was okay. I am so thankful that we have Panera Bread now! Hopefully we will use them for future meals that we get catered in.



  1. Golly what a scary experience, I hope that Tony is recovering well, those stones are painful as, I hear!

    And sorry about the weather and all the cancellations, my brother was going to NY with his family for New year... I wander if he made it!

    Have a Happy New Year Eve!!!


  2. Oh, man, BUMMER!!!! A lot of the men in my husband's family have had kidney stones (not him thankfully) so I've heard how awful they can be. I hope he's okay now. And bummer about everything else, too! I hope your new year starts out complication free!!!

  3. That must have been a horribly frightening experience for both of you. I'm glad it's over and he didn't need surgery, but will there be another stone? Yikes.

  4. I'm glad he's okay! I've heard that passing a stone is some very serious pain. Poor guy!

  5. Oh, how terrible to go through that! I've heard that kidney stones are so very painful. I'm glad Tony is ok and on the mend! Please extend my wishes of good health and fast recovery to him.

    Sorry to hear about the other cancellations. But as you say, at least everyone is safe and sound.

    The pizza looks delish!

    Happy New Year to you and yours, and here's wishing you peace, love, happiness, and health in 2011. :)

  6. Sorry to hear about your husband but it's good that it wasn't worse. Have a good and safe new year!

  7. Sorry to hear about Tony - but I'm glad that he's recovering well! Kidney stones are NO JOKE. I remember my dad passing a few throughout my growing up years, and seeing my big tough dad almost crying from the pain was totally weird. I can't even imagine how sucky that is to deal with!

    That is such a bummer that your fam didn't make it for Christmas, but at least everyone is safe! :)

    Happy New Year!

  8. My mom has had lots of problems with stones. The best thing shes done for it is doing some type of body cleanse. I like that sandwich you got too minus the cheese :) Happy New Year!

  9. It seems like every day I hear of someone having kidney stones. It's like an epidemic. Very scary. Have him squeeze some fresh lemon in his water every day. (Try the Black Bean Soup in the bread bowl at Panera. Fun!)