Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Grilled Portobella's & Skillet Cake

We had a very tasty meal Monday night. I cut up a few zucchinis and an onion and wrapped them up in aluminum foil. I then handed them over to my hubby, so he could put them on the grill along with the mushrooms and his steak. (no pic of his this time) ha Also, those potatoes pictured on the plate below came from the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook. I made Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Herb-Roasted Potatoes...they were to die for! If you have that cook book, you need to give them a try. Check out the recipe on page 25....so easy!We also threw some Roma tomatoes on the grill. I cut them in half and scooped out the seeds. I sprinkled some herbamare, a pinch of brown sugar, and then drizzled the Roma's with some balsamic vinegar. My husband wrapped those up in some aluminum foil and put them on the grill also. Wow, were they amazing! I never really cared for tomatoes too much, but I am beginning to enjoy them more. I love salsa and and everything else that is made from tomatoes, so I guess it is odd that I never really cared for tomatoes by themselves. I am learning though, and have found that my favorite tomato is the Roma.

Here's the recipe for the grilled mushrooms.

3 or 4 portobella mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons dried minced onion
3 tablespoons mince garlic
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Clean mushrooms with damp paper towel and remove stems. I also removed the gills. Place caps on a plate with the gill side up.
In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic, and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Grill over hot grill for about 10 minutes on each side.

I had to post this picture of these gigantic bell peppers that we got at the farmers market Saturday morning. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them...they are huge! Sadly we haven't used them yet, but they will get cooked tonight...I can assure you that. :o)

Okay...here comes the best part of this post....it's this chocolate skillet cake that I made last night. I got this recipe from veggienumnums. I was intrigued when I came across it. It looked so easy, and sounded so good. I was having a chocolate craving all day yesterday and I knew this would be the cure. I was right too....chocolate craving was cured! This was the easiest cake I have ever made, and I have to say...one of the best tasting.

I made the white icing that Michele made, but I made mine with rice milk, because I didn't have any almond milk on hand. I also sprinkled coconut on top...just for my lovely husband! He loves coconut, and he loved this cake! :o)

I'm leaving you with this picture of the great tasting cake. Jump on over to Michele's at veggienumnums and get the recipe...you will NOT be sorry!

~Peace~

2 comments:

  1. oh! I HAVE to make that cake! My husband will flip for a chocolate coconut cake! It looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely BBQ! It's so nice to see a vegan BBQ with all kinds of nice veggie stuff, skipping the soy burgers all together.

    ReplyDelete