Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sicilian Collard Greens and Sweet Potato Matchsticks

It’s hump day… “YAY”…the work week is down hill from here!

Last night for supper I cooked Alicia Silverstone’s Sicilian Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins. Of course, here in the south, greens are the “thing” to eat. I’m not too hip on turnip or mustard greens, but I have really grown to like the collard greens.
When I first saw the recipe in Alicia’s book, I didn’t think it sounded very appetizing. However, I kept coming back to it. A part of me really wanted to try it. I thought, what’s the worst thing that can happen? If I don’t like it, I just throw it out…right? Well, it turns out that I didn’t have to throw it out and the ingredients in the recipe are the perfect combination. Her recipe calls for 1 bunch of collard greens, pine nuts, 3 garlic cloves, olive oil, raisins, and balsamic vinegar. If you have Alicia’s book “The Kind Diet”, the recipe is on page 176. I think you should give it a try. It turned out to be very tasty!




Saturday mornings I always watch the food network channel. This past Saturday we were watching Tyler Florence make some sweet potato matchstick fries. Man did they ever look so tasty. Last night Tony decided he wanted to try making them, and of course I was all for that. :o) I can give you most of the instructions for making them. The one thing I can’t give is what spices Tony used, because I wasn’t paying any attention to what he was doing, and of course now it’s his little secret….ha Here’s what I do know.

Wash and peel 2 sweet potatoes
Slice the potatoes long ways with a slicer, then cut the slices into thin matchstick strips
Put the potato strips in a bowl of ice water and stir them around for a couple of minutes. This gets some of the starch out of the potatoes.
After a couple of minutes take the potato strips out of the water and wrap them up in a towel to dry them off.
After the potatoes are dry, add them into hot oil for cooking.
Once the potatoes are done remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Add any seasoning that you want, like paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper…etc.


Along with the greens and sweet potato fries, I had black eyed peas and basmati rice. A strange mixture of foods I know, but it was one of those nights where you just make do with some simple foods. :o)

~Peace~

3 comments:

  1. When I first checked the Kind Diet out of the library there wasn't much that seemed to appeal to me at first...but then I started experimenting with recipes and everything I made was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those greens sound delicious; I'll have to try them with raisins. I love collards and sweet potatoes (or kale and sweet potatoes)! I normally cook my greens with a bouillon cube and I eat my black eyed peas with rice and salsa or tomato pickle. This simple veggie plate looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely and healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete