Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tostadas, Fried Rice & Ice Cream

For Saturday night I made Mexican for dinner. We had fried rice and tostadas. For the fried rice I cooked a cup of brown rice and let it cool. It seems to fry up easier when it has cooled off. I put the cooled rice in a non stick skillet and added some sauteed bell peppers and onions. I also added a roasted red pepper. I then added some spices such as paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. I thought it tasted good, but it wasn't one of Tony's favorites. Oh well, I was just glad he tried it!


For the tostadas I made up some TVP to use as my taco meat. I added some paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to it to give it the flavor of taco meat. Of course you have to have beans, or it wouldn't be Mexican, so I cooked up some refried beans. I had some corn tortillas on hand, so I rubbed both sides of the tortillas with olive oil and then sprinkled some salt, a little cumin and paprika on the top and put them in the oven on 350 for about 10 minutes. After they are brown on the bottom and are crispy, turn the broiler on to slightly brown the top.
For my tostada, I put a layer of refried beans, then a layer of the TVP, I topped that with some "tofutti better than sour cream", lettuce and salsa. My plate looks a little skimpy compared to Tony's.

Tony put refried beans, cheese, lettuce and salsa on his tostadas. He didn't go all the way vegan, but he did go vegetarian. :o) He said they were wonderful, so that means I did good...YAY !!

Okay, so for my dessert I had ice cream. I can't tell you how much I have missed ice cream since I became vegan. That means no ice cream for over 6 months. I have seen tons of recipes for making ice cream, but I don't have an ice cream maker. :-( I ran to Kroger Friday after work to pick up a few things and noticed they had some non dairy ice cream on sale, so I had to give it a try. Yes, I had to get chocolate. My freezer had the ice cream frozen so hard that I could hardly scoop any out. I was getting very impatient as I was try to dig some out. I finally got about one scoop out. I decided to heck with the rest...I was ready to dig in. I was glad that I stopped digging when I did, because it was it is very RICH! It sure was good though.



Yes, I am a bit of a bargain shopper. I rather try something new when it's on sale....just in case I don't like it. That way I don't feel like I have wasted as much money. Wonder what will be on sale this week. :o)

~Peace~

8 comments:

  1. It is nice that your hubby is trying to eat more healthy meals. Many man refuse to even consider the idea. It was a hard sell at my house initially too.

    The flavors you added to your rice sounded good to me.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Tostadas today too. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tostadas look great - and congrats to Tony for keeping them veggie! Yum on the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegan ice cream is kind of hit-or-miss for me. But I was never a huge ice cream fan when I ate dairy. I'm also happy to see your husband following your lead with the healthier eating! I was just commenting today about how much more variety of foods I eat that I'd never tried before. There really is so much to discover with plant-based diets. I love Mexican, and you're right to want the beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love tostadas and Im setting some up this week on the menu. My favorite vegan ice cream is temptation but I cant find it anywhere in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tostadas always make a terrific meal! I tend to use TVP in tacos, too....and for ice cream, I like So Delicious. It's such an amazing thing that there are many options. YAY for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kroger runs amazing sales on vegan icecream. We stocked up on coconut Sodelicious the other day because it was 2.99 a pint. Yay that your hubby kept it veg. :) For the record, my husband was not a vegetarian when we met, nor did he have any plans on becoming one...it took him about 4 years, and that was that. He hasn't looked back. Not saying that's going to happen in your case, but ya never know. :)

    ReplyDelete