Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Coconut Butternut Squash

It’s cold here in the mornings…how about where you live? This morning it was 40 degrees when I got in my car, and Tuesday morning it was 37….brrrrr. Since it’s been cold the last few mornings, I haven’t had my usual smoothie for breakfast, and now I'm having withdrawals. I'm really missing them for breakfast. Oatmeal just doesn’t seem to be making the cut. What are some things you eat for breakfast? I need some winter breakfast ideas. :o) I don’t have time to eat at home in the mornings, so it needs to be something that I can take to work and eat. I’ve had oatmeal for the last week and am already tired of it.

Last night for dinner I made a coconut butternut squash dish. A few weeks ago we were invited to a "Dinner with a Missionary", which was a fish fry (it's a southern thang). A friend of ours brought this butternut squash dish and some white rice to go along with it. We took white beans that were not made the southern way, which is with a ham bone cooked in it. So, beans, butternut squash and rice is what I had for dinner that night. I was amazed at how good the squash dish was, so I had to ask for the recipe. The original recipe calls for the addition of shrimp. Lucky for me, Joe had left that out this time….yay! I made this last night and put it over the left over coconut rice that I had in the refrigerator. As I was warming up the rice, I added a little curry powder and agave. These two additions to the rice made a huge difference…much better than Sunday night's coconut rice. Here’s the recipe for the coconut butternut squash dish.

1 butternut squash about 3.5 lbs
1 onion, chopped
1 head of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of ginger root, crushed and minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 chili pepper, sliced into about 4 slices
2 cups of coconut milk
2 cups of vegetable broth

In a large pan, heat olive oil and saute the garlic, and onions for about 5 minutes. Add ginger and saute for another 5 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, squash, coconut milk, and the sliced chili peppers. Let boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and squash is tender.
Serve hot with plain rice.

You can chop the chili peppers up, but I sliced mine into the 4 slices, so I could take them out after the squash had finished cooking. I normally don't like a lot of heat, but the next time I will chop up the chili peppers and leave them in.


~Peace~

5 comments:

  1. Winter breakfasts, hmmm...perhaps premake some breakfast muffins that you could heat&eat on your way out the door? Or, yknow, PB banana muffins? >:P

    Yummy-looking squash dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds fantastic, but oh how I hate dicing Butternut Squash. That's why I always just cut it in half and roast it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut butternut sounds funny, but looks great. I am going to do more with squash this winter - it's a new favorite! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    I don't have many breakfast ideas, maybe like your first commenter said - some kind of homemade bars or muffins you prepare for the week? Or maybe a warm soup if you want to drink it like your smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The squash dish sounds great!

    Wow, temps are that cold already? For breakfasts, what about a breakfast wrap sort of thing? Or, I think I saw it on Vegan Crunk's blog quite a while back, a post about a warm drink with soy milk, tahini, and chai spices, which sounded like a warm/yummy thing to drink in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your squash dish sounds lovely. Butternut squash and coconut milk are two of my favorite foods! Thanks for sharing, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete