Thursday, October 7, 2010

Veggie Chili

Last night for dinner we had chili. I made a big batch of it and then put half the chili in another pot for Tony. We added chicken to his chili, and I added eggplant to mine. I wanted to use a can of black beans, but I didn't have any, so I ended up using 2 cans of pinto beans. I also used 3 cans of diced tomatoes, which ended up being too much. The next time I will only use 2 cans. So, with that being said the recipe that I am posting is the adjusted one. :o)

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/8 cup chili powder
1/8 cup cumin powder
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
2 cups vegetable broth
1 small eggplant, chopped and drained
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of chocolate chips

Saute bell peppers, garlic and onion. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Of course the longer it simmers, the better tasting it will be. :o)

I put a few fritos in the bottom of my bowl and added a few to the top of my chili along with some shredded veggie cheese. Something about adding fritos to chili that just makes it even more tasty.

I also want to thank all of you for the great suggestions for my cold weather breakfasts. I look forward to trying them out! I almost froze to death this morning, because I just had to have a smoothie... :o)

I also wanted to mention La Vida Vegga's Autumn giveaway. If you haven't checked it out, you should. She has some very good looking fall goodies that she is giving away.

~Peace~

8 comments:

  1. Great idea to add eggplant to chili. Sounds great! ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put chocolate in your chili too? I did that for the first time making my Cincinnati chili the other day. Never heard of it before.

    I also love chili with fritos - this looks like a great meal for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may also enjoy adding Boca Crumbles or TVP to your chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some breakfast ideas: scrambled tofu, burrito or breakfast wrap (you can make filling on sunday and have it ready to throw in a tortilla or between bagel), muffins, oatmeal, cream of wheat,bagels with soycream cheese and jelly, pb and j on toast, french toast, make a smoothie and heat it up. Hope these help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous! I love the idea of adding eggplant. I like to add water chestnuts to mine!

    I forgot about Fritos in chili! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not had Fritos in YEARS! They were great with chili! And Taco Bell chili cheese burritos... =X Can't believe I used to eat those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you've made lately sounds so delicious. You're becoming such a great vegan cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would think to put chocolate in chili but it makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete