My second round with kale was in my smoothie this morning, along with something else that I've never tried...coconut water. I saw where the edgy vedgy had used coconut water in a smoothie that she had made. She said it was really yummy, so sticking to one of my new year goals, I decided to give it a try also. Now, I've tried kale in a smoothie before and did NOT like it one bit. It was very bitter tasting, but I wanted to give it another go. The outcome this time was a success! The smoothie was great. It consisted of coconut water, 2 kale leaves, 1/2 banana, powdered ginger, cinnamon, wheat germ, a handful of frozen fruit (strawberries and pineapple) and a dab of honey....I think that's all.
I was pleasantly surprised at what I found out:
Drinking coconut water has many benefits. Coconut Water is naturally
• Low in Carbs
• 99% Fat Free
• Low in sugars
Coconut water contains organic compounds possessing healthy growth promoting properties that have been known to help:
1. Keep the body cool and at the proper temperature.
2. Orally re-hydrate your body, it is an all natural isotonic beverage.
3. Carry nutrients and oxygen to cells.
4. Naturally replenish your body's fluids after exercising.
5. Raise your metabolism.
6. Promote weight loss.
7. Boost your immune system.
8. Detoxify and fight viruses.
9. Cleanse your digestive tract.
10. Control diabetes.
11. Aid your body in fighting viruses that cause the flu, herpes, and AIDS.
12. Balance your PH and reduce risk of cancer.
13. Treat kidney and urethral stones.
14. Boost poor circulation.
• Coconut Water is more nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and no cholesterol.
• Coconut Water is more healthy than orange juice - Much lower calories.
• Coconut Water is better than processed baby milk - It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk.
• Coconut water is naturally sterile. Water permeates though the filtering husk.
• Coconut water is a universal donor. It is identical to human blood plasma.
• Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level that we have in our blood.
• Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.
"Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural", according to Mortin Satin, Chief of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.
• Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most Page 3/4 PDF generated by PHPKB Knowledge Base Script energy drinks.
• Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg.
• Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.
• Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.
Pretty cool huh. Sorry for the long post, I guess I got excited about the kale and coconut water.