Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Veggie Pot Pie

Happy hump day!! Last night for dinner I made a vegetable pot pie that was out of this world. In my pre vegan days I used to love chicken pot pie. I think I like pot pies so much, because you don't have to cook anything else to go with them. I've been wanting to make a vegetable pot pie for a while, but I seemed to always be out of an ingredient that I needed. Since our frig is now full of veggies, I figured this would be a good time to make one.

A little of the juice leaked out....booo

2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tbs lite soy sauce
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
1 large onion, diced
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup edamame
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup plain soy milk
3 tablespoons red wine
1 tsp ground sage
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Cook the chopped potatoes and carrots for about 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water, then remove from heat and drain...set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes then add the mushrooms, broccoli, garlic, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften.
Push the veggies to the side of the skillet and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the skillet. Add in the flour and mix with a fork to make a roux, and then stir into the vegetables.
Stir the vegetable broth into the vegetables, and then add the potatoes, carrots, soy milk, 1/4 cup soy sauce and wine. Stir gently, then add thyme, sage, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne.
For the crust I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust that I've had in the freezer for some time. The box had two rolls of pie crust dough in it, so I lined the bottom of a casserole dish with one. I then added the vegetable mixture and put the other pie crust on top. I cut slits in the top of the crust so the steam would evaporate.

I thought about making my own crust, but I was running out of time and I also didn't want to waste the Pillsbury pie crust. I feel almost certain that the crust wasn't vegan, but I couldn't see just throwing it out, so I opted to use it and didn't even look at the ingredients (I know that's bad...I'm sorry). :-( The next time I make the pot pie, my crust will be homemade....I can assure you of that.
I warmed up some left over tofu to go with it....YUM!
Okay...so I know this next picture is not a picture of a vegan plate, but my husband cooked his entire supper by himself, since I was so engrossed in making my vegetable pot pie. Just try not to look to the left side of the plate! Too bad Tony's not a vegan, because if he was, I wouldn't have to cook near as much. His veggies were roasted potatoes and fried zucchini, which looked very good. I was so happy that he cooked himself some veggies. :o)


Yesterday for lunch I had a Tofurky oven roasted turkey sandwich. This is the first time that I have purchased a vegan lunch meat. The main reason for that is because, I've never seen it in my local grocery store until the other day. You know how it is trying new things....you're always skeptical, at least I am. I made my sandwich yesterday morning with out even trying the turkey first (that's big for me). I just had the confidence that it was going to be good, and it was. :o) I added Dijon mustard, bean sprouts, spinach, vegan mozzarella cheese, and halved grape tomatoes to my sandwich. I felt like I had ordered my sandwich from a restaurant or a deli.... it was that good. Are you wondering why I used grape tomatoes? It's because the other tomatoes at the grocery store were OUTRAGEOUS! I went the cheaper route with these little cuties. Oh yeah....I also had chips and salsa with my sandwich. Two thumbs up on the lunch. :o)


~Peace~Love~Happiness~

13 comments:

  1. OMG, that pot pie looks delish! And when I went vegan, I continued to use the things in my fridge that weren't vegan because I didn't want to waste. I would have done the same with the pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try your pot pie recipe. I used to make it with canned cream of mushroom soup, but since going vegan I have been puzzled about the sauce component. I usually use crescent rolls for the crust, though - totally vegan!

    Tony's plate is half vegetables! That's awesome! And I'm glad you can grab tofurkey slices in Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle! I just saw your comment about restaurant suggestions. I would have suggested Fuel Cafe because they have several awesome vegan options and they serve free-range meats. Plus, it's kinda fancy for an anniversary. But it's closed on Mondays....in fact, lots of good places are closed on Mondays. :-(

    Deja Vu has vegan and meaty soul food, but they close every night at 6 p.m. Woodlands has the best South Indian food in town with lots of veg and meat options. Open late and on Monday. Huey's has a badass veggie burger, and I hear their meat burgers are the best in town.

    There's a restaurant guide on my blog that might help. Every place listed there serves meat and veg food because we don't have ANY totally veg restaurants.

    Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pot pie looks awesome!!! Ya, that pie crust has lard. I used to use it during Thanskgiving to save time, but once I went vegan I was screwed and had to make my own :) It's good you didn't waste though! I don't know what it is, but that sandwich looks soooo good! The only mock deli style meat I tried was the first time I went vegetarian and it was the salami I think it was Tofurkey brand. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently waiting on dinner, so I'm super hungry, but even if I wasn't that pot pie would look really good to me! The veggies look spectacular, too. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You pot pie looks good. I noticed Tony had a lot of veggies on his plate. Yay for veggies. ;-) Your tofu looked especially good.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pot pie looks lovely, Michelle. Nice job! I may have to make this one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pot pie looks fab; I'll have to make one soon. I haven't had one in ages. Glad they're stocking some more vegan friendly foods in your local shops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pot pie has been on my short list for a long time. I struggle with the crust though... :(

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pot pie does look awesome - I can't believe there's even edamame in there!
    I like grape and cherry tomatoes in the wintertime more than other kinds anyway because the smaller ones seem to have more taste. I made a salad today with some pretty sad romas. Sprouts on a sandwich also rock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all about the faux meat sandwiches.

    I once accidentally bought that Pillsbury Pie Crust without looking at the ingrediants. Once I saw what was in it, I just gave it to a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarked! <3 This looks amazing

    xoXOxo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  13. veggie pot pie is one of our favorite things- looks great!

    ReplyDelete