Monday, January 24, 2011

Some Weekend Foods....Let the Goals Begin

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend. It's hard to believe that it's already come and gone. Why do the weekends fly by? I had all these things planned that I was going to do, but didn't get half of them accomplished. Now that it's Monday, my goals that I posted on Friday are running through my head and I am determined to stick to them this week. Below are a few things that I had to eat over the weekend.

First up is Viva Vegan's Zesty Orange Mojo Baked Tofu. The first time I cooked baked tofu, I wasn't that crazy about it. It was okay, but not my fave. Of course now I always try something again, but this time I used a new recipe. This is the first recipe that I have made from Viva Vegan. If the other recipes in this cookbook are going to be anything like this one, then I am going to LOVE this cookbook. This is by far the best tofu that I have cooked. It was perfect in every way. My husband even commented on how good it looked. Oh course that as far as he went with that....no taste test for him. The marinade consisted of olive oil, soy sauce,
orange juice, lime juice, orange zest, garlic cloves, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. I can't wait to try more recipes from this cookbook!


I made a salad to go along with the tofu, which was perfect.

For breakfast Saturday morning we had oatmeal. I, just about all the time, add dried cranberries to our steel cut oats when I cook them. I had cooked some apples on the stove, so I topped my cranberry oatmeal with some of the apples, some slivered almonds and a sprinkle of coconut. I took one bite and wondered why in the world I hadn't done this before. I promise the cranberries are hidden under the apples. There's some cinnamon and maple syrup in there also. I wish I had the time to make this my breakfast every morning.


Okay, Saturday night was pasta again. No more pasta for me this week! We had been out shopping all afternoon Saturday so it was fairly late when we got home. Neither one of us wanted to stand up and cook so we decided on "his and her" baked spaghetti. We whipped up some pasta sauce while the whole wheat spaghetti cooked. Once the noodles had finished cooking, we put them in single serving size dishes and then added some sauce and topped it off with cheese. We then put the spaghetti in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.

This is Tony's with real mozzarella. Why does regular cheese look so much better when it melts than vegan cheese. He drizzled a little olive oil over the top of his and sprinkled some basil over that before his went into the oven. Looks pretty huh?


Here's mine....not near as pretty as Tony's, but I'm sure it tasted better. :o) Oh yeah, we had left over onion rings from Red Robin with our spaghetti. Red Robin's onion rings are the best!


Here's my spaghetti all mixed up....very tasty!


I also made some more of Alicia Silverstone's Oatmeal, Walnut, and Dried Plum Cookies yesterday afternoon to take to church. We were supposed to bring snack for a gathering that we were having. Her recipe can be found here. I made a couple of changes though, because I was out of walnuts and dried plums. After I had the batter mixed up, I divided the mixture into two bowls. In one bowl, I added slivered almonds and chocolate chips, in the other bowl I added dried cranberries instead of the chocolate chips. Both were yummy, but oddly enough I think I like the one with cranberries in better. I would have never thought that I would have liked a cookie with dried fruit in it better than one with chocolate. Anyway, guess how many cookies I brought home. That's right....ZERO! These cookies have been a hit wherever I have taken them.

~Peace~Love~Happiness~

10 comments:

  1. Looks good! So is your husband a vegetarian and you a vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all making me hungry and I just ate dinner! The tofu looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tofu literally made my mouth water...love it! And the pasta looks awesome. Good luck with your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Tony is getting closer to actually tasting tofu!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spaghetti Pie! Looks fantastic. I've made Alicia's PB Cups, but never the Oatmeal Cookies. I'll keep those in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tofu looks so gorgeous, and having used Viva Vegan a number of times, I imagine it tasted great, too. I'm going to have to make some a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a creative way to cook tofu - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I actually really love tofu but rarely have it. There are so many delicious ways to prepare it and yours looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo, i want to make that tofu soon.

    ReplyDelete