Friday, February 25, 2011

Sesame Cabbage Stir Fry & My Magical Morning Smoothie

Happy Friday! For supper last night I had cooked cabbage and breakfast links. Does that sound like an odd combination? I knew I wanted to cook some cabbage, but I couldn't really find a recipe that I wanted, so I just winged it. The combinations in this recipe may sound weird, but it sure did taste good. The only thing I would change is that I think I would add some raisins or some kind of sweet dried fruit like that. I think it would pair well with the spiciness that the cabbage had. Here's the recipe.

1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 head napa cabbage, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, shaved
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup vegetable broth
a big splash of white wine
1/4 teaspoon garam marsala
salt and pepper to taste
toasted sesame seeds (for topping)

In a large non stick skillet heat sesame oil, and add the chopped vegetables and minced garlic. Toss to coat the vegetables in the oil. Cover and cook over low/medium heat for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add the vegetable broth and wine. Mix well then cover and cook another 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add garam marsala after about 10 minutes and cook another 5- 10 minutes (uncovered) until the liquid is gone. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once plated, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top. It was spicy and yummy. I really think raisins would be a good addition.


I did have time to take a picture of my smoothie this morning. I'm sure you are wondering why I called it my magical smoothie. Well, it's purple here, right? About 10 minutes later when it was half gone it was green....if only I would've had my camera to prove it. That's just crazy! Have you ever had anything to change colors like that? My smoothie this morning consisted of 1 1/2 cups hemp milk, 1 large kale leaf, a dash of cinnamon and ginger, 2 tablespoons ground oatmeal, a scoop of rice protein powder, 1 teaspoon of molasses, 1 frozen banana, and a handful of frozen blueberries. Everything was thrown into the blender and blended up until smooth.

I hope you have wonderful weekend!
~Peace~Love~Happiness~

9 comments:

  1. Your cabbage concoction sounds great - and I agree, raisins would be great especially with the garam masala. That plus links sounds like a great meal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! =) Molasses in a smoothie!? I've never heard of that before! innnteresting! <3

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. really it changed colors??? thats crazy. i like your cabbage idea, sesame seeds sound really good with cabbage.i will have to try your seasoning idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your smoothies are meals in themselves! I think I need one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really strange that it changed colors! The ingredients for the cabbage sound like they would be good together. I like stranger combinations like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think your cabbage dinner sounds really good! Sausage just goes with cabbage...even cabbage w/ garam masala.

    Magical color-changing smoothies! I want one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sausage & Cabbage is pretty common, especially in Eastern Europe. Tofurky Kielbasa would be perfect for that.

    You made an 'Alexandrite Smoothie'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have NOT had a smoothie change colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I have been craving cabbage lately, so I am going have to try the sire fry this weekend!

    ReplyDelete