Tuesday, April 5, 2011

After the Storm Comfort Food....

Happy Tuesday! It's a beautiful day here, which is a much needed day from yesterday's storms. I had to run by the grocery store on my way home last night to pick up a few things, so I got what I needed to make Alicia Simpson's spinach lasagna from her cookbook, Vegan Comfort Food. Tony is not a fan of spinach, so I made him his own lasagna. Since I was going to be the only one eating the spinach lasagna, I halved the recipe. This may come as a surprise to you, but this is the very first time that I have ever made any kind of lasagna...yep....sure is. And, the out come was great. Of course I did follow the recipe word for word this time...no adjustments with this one. I was worried about Tony's not being good, because I just winged it on his. Thankfully he said his lasagna was good too. That was our after the storm comfort food. :o) The spinach lasagna was so simple. It consisted of frozen spinach, minced garlic, tofu, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, store bought marinara sauce, lasagna noodles, and shredded vegan cheese. I will definitely be making it again!

As usual....my morning started off with a smoothie. I did change it up a bit this morning. This time I used 1 cup of water, 2 kale leaves, 1 date, 1 small frozen banana, 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1/8 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes, protein powder, and maca powder. It was really good! My blender didn't blend up the coconut flakes very well, but that was okay....it gave me a little something to chew on. :)


For lunch I made a couple of veggie wraps. The one pictured below is a collard wrap. I rubbed some lemon juice on the collards before I added the hummus and veggies. I saw where someone else did that and thought it sounded good (it was). I was going to make some hummus last night, but when I went to Kroger they had some on sale. I couldn't pass that up. I bought some regular and spicy pepper (spicy is the word!). Have you ever tried the spicy pepper hummus? It was on the spicy side, but it was good! Anyway, I spread a little hummus on the collard green and then added some shredded carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, Roma tomatoes, and alfalfa sprouts. I made another wrap the same way except I used romaine lettuce. I was going to take a picture after I got them wrapped up, but both of them ended up bursting...boo! I guess I filled them to full. They sure were good though!



There's a giveaway that I need to tell you about. Aren't giveaways fun? Over at FoodFeud's place, you have a chance to win a copy of Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr (a very good book). Or, if you happen to already have that book like I do, she will bake you something and send it to you.....yeah, now that's what I'm talking about. If you have drooled over her baked goods like I have, then you just may go for the goodies. Anyway, go check it out! :o)


~Peace~Love~Happiness~

7 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love veggie wraps!

    Great job on the lasagna! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a pretty nice day here, too, which was also needed. There's been too much cloudiness and storms lately!

    The lasagne looks so good. We haven't made any for a long time, but I might just have to put it on the menu for next week. Mmmm...

    Spicy hummus is my kind of hummus! I love spicy foods, especially when they're super hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasagna is always super tasty. It's one of the few repeat recipes I make...the wraps look awesome too! I love sprouts but they go bad so quickly. Mm, and I could definitely go for some spicy hummus right now - I ate the last of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, your lasagne looks delicious!!!

    Your wraps are an inspiration too!

    Glad to hear the weather has brightened up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Camelia/Chef Vincent' left the same comment for me! I guess they aren't very sincere;-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wraps look very yummy! I love making wraps. :-)

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete