This was so YUMMY! This was my second time to try my hand at tofu. My first experience was not so great, but this one was awesome! If you’ve never tried tofu and you are wanting to, this is a great recipe for a first timer. I got this recipe from recipezaar.com. This goes great with brown rice and veggies. I know....the tofu looks like chicken nuggets, but it's not. :o)
14 ounces extra firm tofu
¼ cup cornstarch, for dusting (I didn’t have cornstarch, so I used cornmeal)
Canola oil (for frying)
½ cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1 bunch scallion, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (I omitted this)
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons finely minced gingerroot
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 finely minced garlic cloves
1-2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes (I used about ½ tsp)
1. Wrap tofu with paper towels and place on a cutting board.
2. Put a heavy plate on top. Place a couple of heavy books on top of the plate to press out liquid for approximately 20 minutes.
3. Stir sauce ingredients together in a saucepan
4. Simmer sauce while you cook the tofu.
5. Dry drained tofu with paper towels and cube.
6. Dust very lightly with cornstarch.
7. Heat 1” oil in deep frying pan.
8. Fry tofu in 350 degree F oil until golden brown.
9. Place friend tofu in a large bowl and toss with 2/3 cup sauce, sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds and scallions.
10. Toss gently.
11. Serve remaining sauce for dipping or drizzle over veggies.