Monday, July 12, 2010

Grilled Eggplant

Saturday night was grill night again, so this time I decided to try something other than a grilled mushroom. I found some pretty white eggplants at the farmers market so I thought, why not try grilling that.

Again, here is another first for me. I've never had white eggplant. I actually just tried the purple eggplant for the first time a about a month ago. I wasn’t too sure how grilling it would turn out, but you never know until you try…right?
It was so hot here in the south Saturday! It was really to hot to grill, but Tony, being the sweet husband he is, said he would do it anyway. Of course he had to throw a bacon wrapped pork fillet on the grill for himself. :o) Sometimes, it’s really hard trying to come up with my meal and his too. Often there are times when he cooks his meal while I cook mine. I feel bad for that, and now that I don’t eat meat anymore, I find it hard to remember exactly what I used to cook when I did eat meat. I’m going to have to do better for my husband! He supports my ways, so I need to be a good wife and support his too. :o) Any way…enough rambling. Here is the grilled eggplant recipe.
1 med size eggplant
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and black pepper to taste

Peel and slice the eggplant ¼ inch thick. Salt the eggplant on both sides and put in a colander to drain. Let drain for about 30 minutes then rinse the salt off the eggplant and pat dry with paper towels.
In small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the eggplant with the mixture. Place eggplant on preheated grill and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side. Try to only flip the eggplant once if you can.
Okay, so this has nothing to do with food, but I just had to comment on my husband. He used to play the guitar, but hasn’t for some time now. Well, he has picked his guitar back up and is playing again. Can I have a big “YAY” for Tony!!! :o))) I am so proud of him!!



BTW...I am eating lunch as I post this, and I can NOT wait to post about my lunch!
~Peace~

4 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with my omni boyfriend- we cook our own meals, mostly. He gets sad that I only bake vegan now, too, since I used to make him Toll House Cookies! But I rectify it by making the vegan cookies extra delicious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of white eggplant before - weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how tough it is when you have two people to satisfy. I thank my husband constantly for eating what I cook, but that also puts the pressure on me to keep cooking!

    So, what did you think of the white eggplant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the white eggplant...I couldn't really tell much difference in the taste though. I guess I could say it was a little sweeter tasting than the purple.

    ReplyDelete