Monday, July 12, 2010

Tofu Egg (not) Salad

I have to share today’s lunch with you. I was so impressed at the way it tasted….it was delicious! I found this recipe a week or so ago for an egg salad made with tofu instead of eggs. I printed it off, in case I decided to make it some day. Friday afternoon when I got home I drained some tofu and cut it into 4 slices. I put it in a shallow baking dish and poured some Italian dressing over it. I thought I would marinate it over night and grill it Saturday evening. The grilling of the tofu changed after I decided that I wanted to grill the eggplant that I bought at the farmers market Saturday morning. Sunday afternoon, I knew I had to do something with the tofu, but I already had supper cooking, which was the shiitake mushroom pasta that I posted a week or so ago. I couldn’t just let the tofu ruin, so I decided I would make the tofu egg salad with the marinated tofu. Turns out I didn’t have several of the ingredients that the recipe called for, so I just winged it and it turned out great. I am so glad I wrote down the recipe as I went this time, because it is definitely a keeper!
Here’s my recipe.

1 lb firm tofu
1 ½ fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green onions
2 tbs dried parsley
2 tbs sweet pickle relish
½ cup veganaise
1 tbs mustard
Italian dressing for marinating

First drain the tofu for about 30 minutes. I sliced the tofu into 4 slices and laid them on a cutting board that was covered with several paper towels. I then laid several paper towels over the tofu and put a plate on top of that. I added a couple books on top of the plate for added pressure to get more of the moisture out.
After about 30 min, put tofu in a shallow baking dish and pour Italian dressing over it. Marinate for 24 hours or 48 like it did….ha
After the tofu has been marinated, crumble it into a mixing bowl.
Add salt, onion powder, pepper, celery, onions, parsley, pickle relish veganaise, mustard, and then the emon juice. Mix with a fork and refrigerate for at least 30 min.


I made a sandwich out of mine today. I got some pumpernickel bread at the Farmers market, and it was perfect for this tofu egg (not) salad. Of course I had to add some lettuce to finish off the sandwich. Here’s the finished product before I devoured it!


~Peace~

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Michelle! Thanks for coming to my site and introducing yourself. :-) I think you're doing an incredible job here. Only on since May, and you're so prolific - puttin' me to shame. I'm going to make you a link on my site. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks GREAT! Johann was just telling me that the one thing his sometimes misses is egg after his switch to veganism. I'll have to whip this up for him and see what he thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look good, especially on your pumpernickel! I'm a big fan of sandwich fillings lately, and I've not yet tried (not) egg salad.

    ReplyDelete